BEEMER — The Laurel-Concord/Coleridge golf season began at Indian Trails Country Club near Beemer, but in a sick twist of fate, their season ended there as well last week.
The District C-2 Golf Meet was held on May 14 and the LCC golfers struggled to keep the ball on the green.
“It was a tough day,” said LCC golf coach Scott Petersen. “We shot a 346 at Beemer for the first meet of the year and came back to shoot 375 for Districts.”
Top team honors went to Logan View at 330. Second and third overall went to Cedar and Wisner-Pilger. The top three teams advanced to the State Tournament at the Kearney Country Club. State Golf spanned two days of play, starting yesterday and finishing today.
The top 10 individuals automatically advanced to the State Tournament as well. Cedar’s Eric Kruse shot a 78 to tie for first place with Logan View’s Ryan Wacker.
LCC was unable to qualify any golfers to State. Cory Peterson placed the best for the Bears at 22nd with his round of 91.
Coach Petersen should have an exciting year in 2013. LCC’s top six golfers will return next spring, as none of them were seniors. Further, Plainview standout Mitch Klooz will be added to the rotation as his family moves to the LCC School District when his father becomes the new Superintendent.
1. Logan View, 330; 2. Cedar, 335; 3. Wisner-Pilger, 349; 4. Stanton, 350; 5. David City, 353; 6. LCC, 375; 6. Ponca, 375; 8. Oakland-Craig, 394; 9. Crofton, 402; 10. West Pt.-Beemer, 414; 11. Wakefield, 449; 12. North Bend, 480.
1T. Ryan Wacker, Logan View, 78; 1T. Eric Kruse, Cedar, 78; 3T. 79, Clayton Wacker, Logan View, 79; 3T. Preston Walford, Tekamah-Herman, 79; 5T. 80, Trenton Peterson, Ponca, 80; 5T. Michael Eberly, Stanton, 80; 7. Spencer Schaulis, Wisner-Pilger, 81; 8. Benjamin Danielson, David City, 82; 9T. Seth Schafersman, Logan View, 83; 9T., Lucas Bradfield, Wisner-Pilger, 83.
LCC Golfers – Cory Peterson, 91 (tie for 22nd); Jamy McCoy, 94 (tie for 29th); Nate Granquist, 95 (tie for 32nd); Brendan Groene, 95 (tie for 32nd); Nathan Schmitt, 95 (tie for 32nd).
LCC nabs second at NENAC
CROFTON — Crfoton Lakeview Country Club provided the setting for the Northeast Nebraska Activities Conference Golf Meet on May 10. Thirty-nine golfers made up the field from the eight conference schools.
Bragging rights went to Plainview as they shot a 328 as a team. They were led by their top three golfers Mitch Klooz (74), Sam Meuret (76), and Riley Meuret (81). The trio went one-two-three in the individual standings as well.
LCC took second as a team with 356. Nathan Schmitt counted up 85 strokes through the day to finish in fourth place for the Bears. Three other Bear Golfers were in the top 10: Shawn McCoy, 89 (6th), Jamy McCoy, 91 (tie for 7th), and Brendan Groene, 91 (tie for 7th).
1. Plainview, 328; 2. LCC, 356; 3. Creighton, 381; 4. Crofton, 405; 5. West Holt, 407; 6. Neligh-Oakdale, 409; 7. Randolph, 436; 8. Elkhorn Valley, 493.
1. Mitch Klooz, Plainview, 74; 2. Sam Meuret, Plainview, 76; 3. Riley Meuret, Plainview, 81; 4. Nathan Schmitt, LCC, 85; 5. Logan Pierce, Creighton, 87; 6. Shawn McCoy, LCC, 89; 7.T. Jamy McCoy, LCC, 91; 7T. Brendan Groene, LCC, 91; 9T. Alex Fritz, West Holt, 93; 9T. Tanner Homan, Creighton, 93.
Other LCC Golfers – Nate Granquist, 99 (tie for 15th).
LCC takes third at Randolph Invite
RANDOLPH — On May 7, the Laurel-Concord/Coleridge golf team traveled to the Randolph Inviational. Around 50 golfers took part in the event that featured 11 teams.
Dalton Lammers (77) of Cedar edged out teammate Seth Howell (78) to take individual honors as Hartington Cedar Catholic won the Invite.
LCC brought home third place behind a solid round by Nathan Schmitt (83), who tied for fifth place. Brendan Groene tied for 10th place with 85 on the day, and Cory Peterson snuck into the top 15 with an 87.
1. Cedar, 319; 2. Pierce, 337; 3. Laurel, 345; 4. Wayne JV, 359; 5. Hartington, 360; 6. Creighton, 368; 7. Crofton, 371; 8. Randolph, 372; 9. Osmond, 388; 10. Elkhorn Valley, 495.
1. Dalton Lammers, Cedar, 77; 2. Seth Howell, Cedar, 78; 3T. Kyle Klug, Cedar, 81; 3T. Brock Mueller, Crofton, 81; 5T. Grant Howell, Cedar, 83; 5T. Devin West, Pierce, 83; 5T. Logan Pierce, Creighton, 83; 5T. Zach Fehringer, Pierce, 83; 5T. Nathan Schmitt, Laurel-Concord, 83; 10T. Brendan Groene, Laurel-Concord, 85; 10T. Aaron Hanlin, Pierce, 85; 10T. Jared Peterson, Wayne, 85; 10T. Eric Kruse, Cedar, 85; 14. Mason Zimmerer, Pierce, 86; 15T. Austin Gubbels, Randolph, 87; 15T. Cory Peterson, Laurel Concord, 87.
Other LCC Golfers – Jamy McCoy, 90; Nate Granquist, 97.
Popularity: 12% [?]